If you had to type in my website domain name, you know by now that I love dessert. And although I do not discriminate, I especially love frozen treats such as ice cream. Being the good dietitian that I am (or at least try to be), I try not to eat ice cream EVERY night. But when those cravings arise, I like to have a little something around that I can at least feel better about. Cue the frozen chocolate covered bananas.
So I'll be honest with you guys- these took a while to make. I'm not typically one to want to spend hours in the kitchen, but they're worth it. Promise. I made these for a dinner party at a friend's and they were a CROWD-PLEASER.
And ok so maybe they're not LOW calorie, but you do get in a serving of fruit. And they're portion controlled unlike your typical ice creams (1/2 C serving size for ice cream?!?!? Does anyone actually abide by that?!?!).
Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 Cups semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup each of toppings of choice (I used 1 C cocoa nibs, 1 C sprinkles, and 1 C roasted coconut chips)
- Prepare your work-space. You're gonna want a lot of space for these babies! Clear out a large section of your counter. Get your separate bowls out for toppings. Cutting board for bananas. Baking sheet covered in parchment paper for finished bananas (but make sure it fits in your freezer- telling you this from experience).
- Place chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl along with coconut oil. Microwave for 15 second bouts, stirring between each, until chips are melted.
- While chocolate is melting, cut bananas into 1/2 inch slices.
- Dip one of the banana slices into the chocolate until completely submersed. Lift the slice out with a fork and let any excess chocolate scrape into the bowl.
- Dip covered banana into the topping of choice, making sure that the topping completely covers the banana slice (you may have to use your hands to help).
- Transfer slice to prepared baking sheet (I would keep a clean fork in each topping bowl for easy transfer).
- Continue this process, dipping in all toppings chosen, until all bananas are covered.
- Place bananas in freezer for at least 6 hours (I did overnight).
- Enjoy! If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.