Oh how I love you, butternut squash. Your sweet, nutty flavor. Your fiber, your potassium, your vitamin A. You make my life complete. Yet you break my heart every time I eat you. Why? Because chopping and peeling you is SO FREAKING ANNOYING! Am I supposed to be a body builder in order to chop this stuff? It legit makes me never want to cook it myself despite my lust over it. Well friends, I have found a solution: the microwave. Not sure if this is a tool you have heard of or not, but it is legit. Simply:
1) Poke holes in the squash using a fork.
2) Slice the top and bottom off of the squash.
3) Throw that baby into the microwave for about 3-4 minutes (depending on how big of a squash it is).
4) Thank me as you easily peel the skin using a vegetable peeler or knife.
5) Thank me again as you easily chop and then throw into the oven to roast.
You are welcome, friends. You are welcome.
A quick word on beets- roast or steam them with the skin ON. This also makes the 100 times easier to peel after they are cooked.
Another quick word on Flatout wraps- have I mentioned how much I love these things? Healthy AND tasty?? Yes plz.
This wrap is filling, high fiber, meatless (think: meatless Monday meal??!!), high potassium, and whole grain. Oh, and did I mention that it's TASTY?!
Roasted Butternut Squash, Beet, Ricotta Wrap
Servings: 2 wraps
- 1 Butternut squash, chopped and peeled
- 2 beets, roasted, peeled, and sliced
- 2 Flatout Wraps
- 1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup hummus (I used Hope Foods Spicy Avocado hummus)
- Spread 2 Tablespoons of ricotta cheese onto each wrap.
- Sprinkle each wrap with even amounts of squash and beets.
- Top each off with 2 Tablespoons of hummus.
- Roll and enjoy!