It’s finally winter in Denver, and that can only mean one thing- soup season. There is nothing I love more than snuggling up in front of my Netflix (ok yea, I don’t always practice what I preach about mindful eating- moderation guys) with a hot bowl of soup and a gooey grilled cheese sandwich. The biggest issue is that, of course, my favorite soups are of the creamy, high calorie variety. So when I found this recipe on www.followtherules.com, I knew I had to try it. I adjusted a few things to my taste (control freak), but otherwise kept most of the recipe the same.
Typical creamy tomato soups are loaded with heavy cream, so I love that I was able to use Greek yogurt in this recipe to not only add that same creamy vibe, but also bump up the protein a bit. This recipe uses a mix of Roma and cherry tomatoes which I love because it adds a bit of variety in sweetness, but if you’re feeling lazy you could definitely get away with all Roma.
I obviously had to top this off with a grilled cheese sandwich. I used thin sliced whole wheat bread and sharp cheddar cheese, but you can really use whatever floats your boat! If you’re not feelin’ the cheese, a grilled panini of any kind would work. Or heck- just eat the soup and throw in some chicken for protein. SO WILD.
Healthy Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 6-8 Roma tomatoes (1 pound), halved
- 12 large cherry tomatoes (1/2 pound), halved
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Arrange Roma and cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet. Spray with ~1 teaspoon olive oil (I keep my olive oil in a Misto spray bottle) and sprinkle with salt.
- Place garlic cloves in the middle of a small square of tin foil. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil and wrap up tightly. Place in oven with tomatoes to roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, sauté onions in remaining olive oil until translucent and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Place diced tomatoes, roasted tomatoes, garlic, chicken stock, paprika, red pepper, and Greek yogurt into a large blender (can also add all to the pot and use an immersion blender). Blend together until smooth.
- Add blended ingredients back to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in basil.
- Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich (made on whole wheat bread of course).