It's "Lauren make up your own random recipe" night. And guess what, it was pretty freakin' good! (It doesn't always turn out that way haha). I call this pad Thai meets fried rice (cauliflower rice, of course). And it wouldn't be a complete Lauren meal without a soft poached egg to top. And the best part? It's vegetarian! So it works for #meatlessmonday but still packs a big protein punch (which is key for meatless meals). How you ask??
First off, let's talk about Meatless Monday. What's the big fuss? Almost all foods which are high in saturated fats (the artery clogging fats) are from animals. So, having 1-2 meals a week which are meatless can significantly improve heart health and cholesterol levels! The key with a meatless meal is to make sure you are getting enough protein (this is a macro-nutrient that vegans and vegetarians tend to skimp on). For this meal, I used a poached egg and a vegetable burger patty for protein.
This night I was craving fried rice but also a sweet peanut sauce, so I figured "what the heck- I'll have it ALL!" And guess what, I did! I had my cake (i.e. pad thai fried rice) and ate it too.
Pad Thai "Fried Rice"
• 1 head cauliflower
• 1 bunch sugar snap peas
• i jalapeno, chopped
• 2 sweet potatoes, chopped with skin on
• 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
• 4 veggie burger patties (I used Garden Burger brand)
• 4 eggs, poached to your likeness
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
• 4 Tablespoons PB2 (or 1/4 cup peanut butter)
• 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
• 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
• 3/4 cup almond milk (or milk or your liking)
• 2 Tablespoons lime juice
1. Slice cauliflower into large chunks and grate in food processor. Can also use a cheese grater if desired.
2. Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Saute sugar snap peas, jalapeno, sweet potato, and mushrooms in large skillet until slightly browned.
4. Place cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl. Cover and microwave until soft, about 4 minutes. No water needed!
5. Cook veggie burgers in microwave or skillet per directions on packaging.
6. Poach eggs to your likeness (I poach for 4 minutes to keep soft in the middle).
7. Mix all ingredients together. Top with egg and a pinch of crushed red pepper. Bon appetit.