Curry. A five letter word that guaranteed will lead to me ordering your dish if I see this ingredient in it. It is also a guarantee that I will be staining whatever I am wearing at the moment yellow when I eat foods with curry in them. It’s just a fact of life. Aside from being outrageously tasty, curry has many health benefits. Tumeric, which is an ingredient in curry powder, has been shown to have anti-inflammatory benefits. Some studies even show that tumeric is an anti-cancer agent. And who couldn’t use a bit of that?!
This soup is easy to make, LOADED with veggies, and gluten-free. High protein, high fiber… a dietitian’s dream of a combo. It’s also got a nice spice to it, which you know this Texas girl loves. I use pre-riced broccoli to keep prep and cook time down (and also because I always DESTROY my kitchen when I attempt to make my own veggie rices). This time I used Trader Joes riced broccoli.
How do I easily portion out my oil? I use my Misto spray bottle. I love this thing. It’s a great way to easily grease my pots and pans without glopping on the oil. It’s like Pam without the added chemicals. It doesn’t have to be this brand, there are a ton of good oil spray bottles out there. But bottom line- portioning oil is important for weight control!
Gluten-Free Crab Curry Soup
- 3-4 cups of “riced” broccoli or cauliflower (I use the pre-riced)
- 3 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil for roasting
- 2 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cups broth (vegetable or chicken if not vegan)
- 1 medium bunch bok choy, large chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (use less if you don’t want as spicy)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 ounces fresh crab meat (I used Trader Joe’s frozen Wild Caught Crab Meat)
- Sliced jalapeno and/or red pepper to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a small bowl, toss your cauliflower or broccoli rice with the curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and 3 Tbsp oil.
- Spread the veggie rice on a baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for 20 -22 minutes until tender but not overcooked.
- Remove and set aside. Prepare a large stock pot by heating 2 tsp oil on medium high heat. Add minced garlic and saute for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Next add in your broth, bok choy, carrots, spinach, cauliflower “rice,” red pepper flakes , and black pepper.
- Bring to a quick boil (make sure milk does not get too hot), then simmer for another 20 minutes or so until veggies are all cooked.
- Top each bowl with crab meat.
- Garnish with peppers.